Thursday 13 December 2007

Gran'dad's Little Gift


My daughter gave birth to her first child in November

so here's my response to that event. A bit schmatlzy, I know.


To My Grand Child Freya Rose

It was more than good to see you lying in your crib
In fact, ‘bloody marvellous’ would be nearer to the mark.
Your little face, so tiny and intent; large hands clutching at thin air.
You have your mother’s features, but it’s early days as yet,
And maybe as you grow a bit, your eyes will go dark brown
Like mine.
I hope I live a good few years to see how your growing goes.
My wish for you, a great childhood, my darling Freya Rose.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

A new life is more than cause for a celebratory poem. Congratulations, Granddad.

Leslie Hawes said...

Congratulations. Beautiful girl!
Brings a tear to my eye.