Wednesday 9 March 2011

My Annus Horabilis!

It has been a long time since I wrote on my blog - well over a year in fact. This has partly been due to the fact that I'm basically lazy,BUT in addition to that in February 2010 I was taken ill and rushed to hospital with a ruptured intestine. I can't remember much about the actual event but it was very dramatic and following two operations I was admitted to ITU where I was put on a ventilator for some time. My poor wife was told that there were three options: 1) I wouldn't make it 2) If I did make it I could be severely brain damaged because of loss of blood or 3) I'd make a full recovery.
And guess what - I made a full(ish) recovery. I say 'ish' because I have so little intestine that I now suffer from 'short bowel syndrome' and that means I have problems getting enough nourishment from the food I eat, so occasionally I have had to go into hospital to have top ups of Magnesium and other fluids. The best thing though is that over the intervening past year I have had very little pain and no horrible blockages. The ITU consultant advised that it could take a good 18 months to two years to fully recover so I guess I'm still only half way there. the experience has taught me to cherish the life I have and to be thankful for the big mercies and fine hospital care that I had at Treliske Hospital in Truro. And, also, I can now concentrate on Book 2 of 'The Locked Door series.

No comments: